Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Time Matters

2011 in the making

Every year I like to take a few days and get away from the daily grind and my regular schedule to focus on the upcoming year. This year I was fortunate to have a friend offer me his cabin in Big Bear. As someone who loves to snowboard it was torture at times to be in Big Bear with no board and no snow. I can't remember the last time I was in Big Bear to do anything except Snowboard. However, the solitude and minimal distractions was just what I needed. During the week I also managed to go without t.v., (also torture with the World Series on) and no car for several days.

Somewhat forcing my self to take a week out of my normal life was a little difficult at first because it is out of my usual busy schedule. However, after a day or two, I really began to enjoy the quit walks, crackling fireplace and hot coffee with my books. This time is always so refreshing and gives me time to really seek the vision for Shepherd Sports, my staff and the volunteers that serve so faithfully. Above is a picture of a desk calendar that I rip off and put up on the wall to stare at all week. I spend time in pray, planning and trying to implement new ideas for the coming year. The picture above is an empty version before anything goes up...the same calendar now sits in my office full of events, leagues and classes for 2011. Although only pieces of paper, i always see each event or league we run as people who need a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. It makes this time so rewarding because when we get to look back at the lives we changed the time and commitment will be worth every second.

Looking back on my week of solitude was very eye opening to realize the time we spend on things that are not of the Kingdom...the time we waste on the internet or watching t.v. or just getting up and going somewhere because its easy and gives us something to do. As Americans I believe this to be true of most of us, including myself. We have so much at our fingertips that we can fill entire days, weeks and even years of our life up with stuff that means nothing in scope of eternity.

Ask your self these questions: How much t.v. did I watch this week? How many hours did i play video games this week? How long did i go without checking my emails, getting on my phone, texting, seeing who hit me up on facebook? Our attention span has shortened and in turn shortened the time we spend with our Creator. As much as we all plan on spending time with God, reading a book that going to help our marriages or help our kids...life always seems to take over. Things that are important to God should be important to us and therefore should take precedent over video games, t.v. shows, internet and our facebook status. Try unplugging yourself, set Godly priorities, take a good look at what fills your day, week and year and know that God is calling all of us to take a quit walk with Him, everyday.

How important is God to you?
Who's leading your life?
Who are you letting fill up your calendar?
How important is your spouse?
How important our your kids?
What's really important in the scope of the eternal kingdom???????????

No comments: